Monday, April 28, 2014

a pearl party

We had another crazy weekend. On Friday evening we went to a wonderful performance of "The Wizard of Oz, on Saturday we celebrated my mom's 80th birthday and on Sunday my son had Opening Day for Tball! I wish I could say that things were going to slow down, but this weekend is my birthday and my daughters first communion, on the same day! I can't complain for even one second, because we have been celebrating such fun and special people and occasions.
My dad (who will be 90 in July) organized a very small, low key birthday for my mom at their lake house. I am talking fried chicken on paper plates, which was just what my mom wanted, but I couldn't let the day get away from me without adding a few personal details. I brought a salad and some desserts (coconut cupcakes and tiny almond sugar cookies in the shape of "80's.") I also made some favors, which were shimmery white chocolates that resembled pearls. I put them in some pretty ring boxes and tied them with ribbon. For her gift, we organized some "pearls of wisdom" or advice she had given to friends and family. My mother, the most modest woman on the face of the earth was a little embarrassed by the gesture, but I can't tell you how much we have all enjoyed reading them. Maybe this was more a gift for me than for her. We also got her a Mikimoto Pearl bracelet! You only turn 80 once, right? It was a lovely day spent with her immediate family, just as she wanted.  Hope you all had a lovely weekend too!



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It!